Wednesday, April 2, the Wrightsville Beach Fire Department responded to a house
fire at 8 Water St.
chief Frank Smith said two Wrightsville Beach trucks were dispatched at 3:40
p.m. and arrived on scene by 3:45.
observer witnessed the fire on the exterior deck and alerted the tenant. After
calling the fire department, they started dumping buckets of water on the fire.
was reported as a fire with flames and smoke showing,” Smith said.
the first fire engine arrived on scene, responders saw it was a fairly small
most likely cause was improperly discarded smoking material, Smith said.
were several cigarette butts in shallow ashtrays on the deck,” Smith said.
added that with the winds at the beach, he cautions people who are smoking
outside to use deep, secure ashtrays.
were able to put out the fire with water extinguishers within a matter of
conditions can really cause trouble with cigarette butts outside or with
charcoal grills,” Smith said. “The ember in the charcoal can blow out very
easily. When you combine either one of those ignition sources with windy days
and wooden decks or pine straw landscaping, it’s a very easy way to start a